10 Important Things To Remember When You’re Worried About Being Single
By Becca Martin
1. You don’t need someone to complete you. You aren’t part of a puzzle that is waiting for someone to come fill in the missing pieces. You aren’t incomplete because you are on your own and you surely aren’t lacking a better half. You are whole and brilliant and you are perfectly capable of being happy on your own.
2. Work hard now and the relationship will follow. Work hard in your job, work really hard and put your career first because once you find something you love it makes the rest of your life easier. Don’t skip out on work to look for love because love will find you when it’s ready, but your career can pass you by any second.
3. You can’t force love. As much as being alone may suck for you sometimes you can’t force love. You can’t force someone to want to be with you, it just doesn’t work that way.
4. You can’t force someone to stay. You just can’t. You could think they’re your soulmate but they might not think that of you. You can’t force them to stay if all they want is to leave — it will only make things messy and worse.
5. You should never make excuses for someone. Don’t tell yourself they are a good person and try to block out all the bad things they’ve done just because they showed you a little bit of interest. It’s better to be alone than with someone who’s not a good person at their core.
6. It’s better to be alone than in a shitty almost relationship. Don’t put yourself in a position to be someone’s “almost” because you don’t deserve to be an almost relationship. You deserve to be so much more than that. You should be someone’s whole choice, not an after thought. Don’t allow yourself to be half-loved when you know you deserve more than that.
7. Even if you feel alone, you’re not. There are some nights you’re going to by lying in bed hugging your pillow wondering why you’re alone, but you’re not the only one feeling that way, even if you think you are. You’re not the only one who has lonely nights and lonely days, you’re not alone in your emotions and how you feel. Don’t ever feel alienated and isolated in solidarity because I can promise you that you’re not alone.